Building Robust and Reliable Network Infrastructure for the World’s Busiest Airport
Industry Sector: Intelligent Transportation System
Location: Dubai International Airport (DIA), UAE
- Copper cabling was not a viable option because it would require an equipment room to be installed every 60~90 m. Therefore, fiber cabling infrastructure was adopted, with over 2,000 point-to-point fiber links installed.
- Due to spatial limitations, media converters installed at the endpoints had to be compact yet highly reliable. Media converters with PoE were adopted to provide a power source for end devices.
- To optimize the utilization of space in the equipment rooms, power trays, which were to accommodate fiber–copper media converters, had to be compact in design and provide centralized power inputs.
- IE-PowerTray (P/N:BB-850-13086) : 18-slot AC power Module Chassis support Fast Ethernet and Giga Ethernet , Hot-Swappable
- MiniMc (P/N: BB-855-11623 MM1300-SC) : 10/100 Base-TX twisted pair port Mini Switching Media Converter with LFPT, Multi-Mode, SC connector
- Giga MiniMc (P/N: BB-856-10731 LX-SM1310-SC): Giga Switching Media Converter with LFPT , Signal Mode , SC connector
- IE-Giga MiniMc (P/N:BB-856-18931 SM1310-SC): Industrial Grade Wide Temperature Giga Miniature Media Converter Signal Mode, SC connector
- PoE+ Giga MiniMc (P/N:BB-857-11914 SM1310-SC): PoE+ Giga-MiniMc with LFPT, support Jumbo Frames, Signal Mode, SC connector
*IE-PowerTrays, next to the patch panels convert the fiber lines back to copper lines in the equipment rooms.
- At the end points, standalone converters were adopted to provide flexibility for connecting any IP device. PoE+ Giga MiniMc media converters were the ideal choice for powering PoE cameras.
- IE Giga MiniMc modules were used to connect the ticket machines in the airport parking areas, where an extended operating temperature range was an essential requirement.
Benefits and Advantages
- The compact size and aesthetically pleasing design of the MiniMc media converters made them ideal for installation at the endpoints.
- The embedded LFPT feature enables easy network diagnosis when a fiber cable is broken.
- The PoE+ function of the media converters provides sufficient power for end devices in remote parking lots, which require over 20W of power.